Sam Frankling was born in Saskatoon and at the outbreak of war was enrolled in second year medicine at Saskatoon University.
He enlisted in the RCAF at Toronto in 1940. He was at #1 Manning Depot, Toronto; #1 ITS at the Toronto Hunt Club; #1 EFTS Malton; #1 SFTS Borden; #1 ANS Rivers Manitoba and he received his Pilot Wing at Camp Borden in April, 1941.
He was then posted as an Instructor to #15 SFTS at Claresholm, Alta. from 1941- 1943.

He was posted to the UK in July of 1943 and did his ATU at Fraserborough; OTU at Wellesbourne(Stratford); HCU at Wombleton. He was then posted to Linton-on-Ouse, Eastmoor where he served on #408 “Goose” Squadron and on #415 “Swordfish” Squadron.
His crew consisted of Gordon Dingwall(Navigator); Mike Jukubric (Bomb Aimer); Reg Brown (WOP);
Joe Grondin (MUG); Ray Leonard (Rear AG).

Sam retired from the RCAF at Toronto in July 1945.
He received his BA at the U. of Sask. in 1947. The U. of T. in 1949 his degree in Medicine. He did General Practice of medicine in Orangeville from 1950 - 1959. Then at the U. of T. from 1959 - 1962 FRCS(C) specializing in opthamology. Chief of Ophthamology, Mississauga Hospital from 1962 - 1990.

Sam married Hazel Haney of Yorkton, Sask., in August 1941. They have three children, Carol, Robert and William

Most Memorable Op.

Berlin, March 1944, Sam relates that the aircraft was coned by searchlights as they released their bombs. He took violent evasive action which put them into a spin that took them out of the immediate danger. He cedits “the Good Lord” with taking them out of the spin at about 9,000 feet as the crew was struggling to bail out positions. He says that they had interesting weather conditions that night --- high altitude winds of 190mph.

Few navigators believed their calculations and the returning stream was about 140 miles wide - with Sam in the first wave! He decided to fly at a slower speed than recommended by the navigator so someone else could “light up the way”. His navigator was a cracker jack but “like many others, he sure missed the mark that night” When the central Rhur began to light up 30 miles ahead and planes started blowing up, Sam realized they were way off course. The whole of the Rhur was ablaze off the port wing for two hours and Sam and his crew had a ring side seat of the wildest fireworks display they woul ever see. He believes that 79 aircraft were lost that night, four of them from #408 Squadron.
On a trip in July 1944 to Hamburg, Sam took a British Army major for liason training. Sam relates the the major kept harrassing him to get back in time for a scheduled party. German fighters joined them as they crossed the coast of France and they counted about 30 bombers exploding out of some 70 lost that night. They got back safely at 0400 hrs. and the major got to his party