One of her duties there was to take milk and cookies to a patient around three in the morning. She’d see all these little faces pressed up against the window, and being soft hearted, she’d give them some. She did get caught. told to stop, but didn’t. Many years later she was visiting her father who was in hospital south of Montreal. A young nurse kept staring at her, finally came over and said “ Have you any milk and cookies?” She was a Philippine girl over to Canada for training. Her dad got the best care after that.
           One of her scariest moments while at Clark Air Base was pulling in the wounded off the beaches, while the Japanese planes were still attacking. When flying a patient out from there, their plane was shot down. She remembers going into the water, and when she came to she was in Walter Reed Hospital in Washington State, all in traction and her face had to be rebuilt from a photograph. Eventually she got back home to Lachine and joined the Canadian Army as a Nursing Sister, and was stationed in Kitchener. From there she would make the rounds of other Military Camps, like Barrie and Petawawa, to check on medical supplies.  While at Kitchener, she was sent to the University of Western Ontario for two degrees. Also took a course on self defense, Japanese style.  An order came from higher up to ship Nurses overseas. Her doctor liked her work so much , he had her sent out of camp so she missed that draft. The ship these nurses were on was torpedoed in the Mediterranean Sea, all lost, a good many of her friends among them. At War’s end, she was signing discharge papers until there was no one to sign hers, so theoretically, she’s still an Army Nurse.           Following the War, she was back in choirs. She and Maureen Forrester would go around from Church to Church building up choirs. She worked in Queen Mary Vets Hospital until her marriage to Henry Fairclough. He was a corporate lawyer in oil, and they traveled the world - the Mideast, Hong Kong, you name it.       When Henry died she went into Social Services, combining that with her Nursing profession. Some of her visits were to some of the worst areas of Montreal, her only protection a can of Campbell soup in a bag hung over her shoulder. She attended many Court cases where she tried to have the children taken away from some of the mothers who she figured weren’t fit mothers to her children, only to have a judge rule against her.     Phyllis, Gladys and I worked together for some years in St. Andrews, and the last 2 years before Gladys died, we had her for Christmas dinner. It seemed so natural that I’d be taking Phyllis home and picking her up that everything just evolved from there.   We had 15.5 years of a very happy marriage, did a great deal of traveling, doing England five times in seven years, traveling to Victoria by car, Winnipeg three times, Florida and Australia. It was time well spent, and I consider myself very fortunate in having two wonderful wives.       One extra story- while at Kitchen she swam competitively for the Canadian Army, doing 26 miles in Lake Ontario.       As many have remarked to me in Wellington Street United Church, London, we didn’t really know Phyllis. She could sit at the pew in Church, close her eyes and pick each singer out.
             Her ashes rest in Mount Royal Cemetery, Montreal, with her father and first husband.

Phyllis Tuckwood

 Phyllis was 4 years old having just come over from England with her father. Her mother having died when she was very young.
           They settled in Lachine, and her father married again, but she and Phyllis never did get along. Phyllis spent a great deal of her summer hours swimming in the Lachine waters.
           When she was 17 she left home to join the nursing profession. Her father being the leader of a Masonic Choir, she spent many hours in the Church Choir - Grace United for one, before actually joining the St. Andrews.
           When war broke out, before she joined the Canadian Army as a Nursing Sister, she signed on with the American Air Force as a decontamination expert, being sent to Fort Benning in Georgia, U.S.A., and then shipped out to Hawaii, where the ships were still burning from the Japanese attack, then on to Wake Island, Guadalcanal, ending up at Clark Air Base in the Philippines.